Monday, May 19

What I Did On Summer Vacation - by Sis

What you are looking at is Sis' left upper arm bone. She managed to snap it, just above the elbow, and dislocate the elbow as well. She had just finished up a soccer game and was killin' time on the monkey bars before Bud's game started.

Can you believe our good fortune that our family doctor happened to be right there! He was at the soccer field for his son's game, heard her screaming, and was on the scene in seconds. He called ahead to the ER and met us there.

Unfortunately, the original X-rays didn't show a break, only a dislocation. Our doc said "better safe, than sorry". He ordered up our transfer to Children's Hospital in the Cities for a pediatric bone specialist to take over. So "off" our middle child went, via ambulance to St. Paul. Daddy was able to ride with her. Praise God.

In the meantime, I was frantically shuttling Bud & Mudge to their aunt & uncle's house, packing an overnight bag, and high-tailing it to the Cities on my own. A very understanding state trooper pulled me over doing 80 in a 55. He basically shook his head and turned the other cheek once he knew the reason. He did instruct me to slow down, and get there in once piece. I arrived in one piece, drove straight to the ER like I'd been there everyday, even though I hadn't a clue where I was (Thanks Lord!), and met Daddy & Sis in another ER.

For what seemed like an eternity, we waited in the ER for the surgeon to arrive and get the show on the road! As soon as she arrived, things took off at light speed and before I knew it, Sis was being prepped for surgery. I was allowed to stay with her while they put her under, and it was equally cute & terrifying to watch her drift off in mid sentence. I kissed her and prayed over her before they shuttled me out.

Steve & I were able to watch updates on a monitor. "In surgery", "out of surgery", "in post-op". It went very quickly, and before we knew it she was eating Popsicles in her hospital room watching Disney. I'm the one who was in shock. She was her typical self, cracking jokes and paying no mind to the HUGE temporary cast on her arm. All the while, Daddy hung back in the shadows while I micro-managed. Then we all hit the wall and finally were able to sleep, even though the nurses were in every hour.

We were finally discharged at 2 pm on Sunday, and made it home by late afternoon. We gathered up the other kidlettes, ate supper, and then breathed a collective sigh of relief.

We were all so thankful that Sis was doing well. We are thankful that she only broke her arm. We are thankful for our doctor being right there, and even calling us today to see how we were doing.

I am thankful for each & every one of you who prayed for Sis, offered your help, offered your encouragement, and showed your love for us. I am thankful for your self-less acts of love.

And so is she.......


Jodi said...

Oh no! What a hard weekend for all of you! Hope she heals quickly because I bet she's not one that likes to sit around. :)

And does this mean you had to miss your paddle on Saturday morning. :(

Mommy said...

Glad to hear the whole story and hear how the Lord worked. I'd only heard little details up until now. I'll pray for fast healing and an uneventful remainder of least in that way.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are home, feeling better but sorry we were not able to keep our brunch, park visit & picnic today. Once you are feeling up to it, we will pick a day to do all these things, and I hope that's very soon.

I Love You,

Grandma Jo

Rach said...

Wow! Praise God your doctor was there! That is amazing. We're glad to hear things have settled and Sis is okay. Please give her a squeeze from Mrs. Greene (on her good side) and an "atta girl" for being so tough!

Anonymous said...

Wow! and remember Mom is Wow up-side down. Thank you for the details. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers. See you soon.

- 1st SIL K8

blackbird said...

Ooooh! What a story!
I'm thankful to see she is healing.